Focused On Achieving Results For You

Providing Answers For Your Family

Family law issues often leave parents and spouses with essential questions about their future. At The Roach Law Firm, we have been serving Southwest Louisiana and the neighboring communities for over 50 years, and we are proud to offer our clients the guidance and information they need in such a difficult time. One of the ways we help our clients is by providing thorough and informative answers to questions such as:

How long will my divorce take?

If neither spouse in a divorce contests the process, a divorce can be resolved in as little time as two weeks to six months. If litigation is necessary or negotiations drag on, the process can take over a year to settle.

What should I bring to my first meeting with a divorce lawyer?

The more information you bring to us, the better. When you join us for your initial consultation, be sure to bring any relevant financial documents like bank statements, retirement accounts and paystubs, mortgages and titles, medical documents, police reports and any other important document that relates to you, your spouse or your children.

Can I represent myself?

You are legally allowed to represent yourself through your divorce, but this is rarely ever a good idea, even when pursuing a collaborative divorce. A skilled family law attorney can act on your behalf to minimize the time it takes to resolve your divorce, maximize the assets you keep in the process and look after your children’s best interests along the way.

How is child custody determined?

If a couple cannot reach a custody agreement through negotiation, a Louisiana court will hear the details of the divorce to decide what is best for the children in the divorce. Judges usually consider factors like the children’s age, health, relationship with their parents, what relocation would mean for them and each parent’s ability to provide a safe and stable home. We can help present the strongest case possible for the outcome your family deserves.

When can I modify a divorce agreement?

There are two primary ways you can modify a divorce agreement. The first is by submitting a motion for a new trial within 30 days of when the judge signed the original decree. This option is for when a spouse believes a mistake was made during the divorce resolution. The second option is pursuing a modification after a significant change in the life of the child or the spouse. Common examples of these changes include job loss or career changes, a spouse getting married or divorced again, medical emergencies or even retirement.

Get The Information You Need

Every family law issue is unique, so it is understandable if you still have questions about your situation. Contact our Lake Charles office at 866-613-5458 or email us here to schedule your initial consultation with us and learn more about your legal needs.